Most children are interested in skateboarding at some point during their childhood. When your child enters this phase, it is important to know which skateboards are the best for your child to learn to skate on safely.
The cheap plastic toy models that you see at toy stores are not real skateboards, which means that they are not durable enough to provide your child with a safe skating experience.
In this guide, we will look at some of the considerations that you should make before purchasing a new skateboard for your youngster. We will also take a look at a few options so that you can choose the best skateboard for your child.
Best Skateboards for Kids 2019
SkateXS Beginner Panda Street Kids Skateboard
|28x7 inch (Ages 5-7)|
29x7.25 inch (Ages 8-10)
30x7.4 inch (Ages 11-12)
|53mm 90A SkateXS||Aluminium||High Performance SkateXS Bamboo Skateboard Deck||pre-lubricated high precision ABEC-7|
Penny Nickel Complete Skateboard
|27x7.5 Inch||59mm 78A||Custom 4” Penny, a grade 356 cast aluminium powder-coated||Classic waffle top non-slip||Penny ABEC 7|
Powell-Peralta Cab Dragon Cosmic Green Complete Skateboard
|28.65x7.5 Inch||53mm 90A||7.38" Mini Logo||7-Ply Maple|
Merkapa 22" Complete Skateboard with Colorful LED Light-Up Wheels
|22x6 Inch||60x45mm PU 78A||3.25" Heavy duty High quality Aluminum||Plastic Single Kick||ABEC-7|
Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard
|31x7.5 Inch||52mm 98A Urethane||5.0" Aluminum||Canadian maple construction||ABEC 5|
Rimable Complete 22″ Skateboard
|22x6 Inch||59mm 78A Urethane||3" Aluminium||Thick 100% Fresh Material||ABEC-7|
SCSK8 Pro Skateboard
|31.78x8 Inch||52x30mm PU||5.0" Aluminum||7 Ply Maple||SCSK8 Precision ABEC-9|
The Boss Board Complete 22" Vintage Skateboard
|22x6 Inch||59mm 78A Urethane||Solid aluminum||High-density Plastic||ABEC-7|
Mini Complete Skateboard Toys for Kids
Ancheer Retro Plastic Skateboard Complete Cruiser 70's Style 22" Mini Skateboard
|21.64x5.7 Inch||65mm 85A||3" Aluminum||Plastic||ABEC-7|
1. SkateXS Beginner Panda Street Kids Skateboard – The Best Customizable Skateboard for Kids
A lot of the skateboards that are marketed towards kids are not as durable or well built as an adult model would be. This is not the cast with the SkateXS Beginner Panda Street Kids Skateboard. It is made from bamboo, and it is a kids-friendly size that makes it easy for them to learn to balance and maneuver.
The only downside of this board is that it is not available in full size, which means that it will not accommodate most teens. If you have a kid under 12, then this is an ideal option.
If you are looking for a skateboard that is colorful enough to match your child’s personality as well as durable enough to withstand going to the skate park with the big boys, then this may be a great option for you.
2. Penny Nickel Complete Skateboard – The Best Skateboard for Tricks
The Penny Nickel Complete Skateboard is available in a number of colors. In fact, the trucks and the wheels also come in colors that match the deck. The design of the board is thin and charming,
The durable design of this board is one that has been around for decades. It is lightweight, easy to maneuver, and it is great for doing tricks around the park, so if that is what you are looking for in a skateboard for your kid, this may be a great choice.
3. Powell-Peralta Cab Dragon Cosmic Green Complete Skateboard – The Best Skateboard for Intermediate Skaters
The deck is crafted from seven-ply birch wood that is cold fused together to create the most durable deck possible. The quality of the deck and the wheels increase the amount of pop that you get when you are performing tricks.
The major downfall of this skateboard is the size of the deck. It is only 28.65 inches long, which means that it will not be an adequate length for any child who is over that age of 10.
If you are looking for a skateboard for a child who is not into the double digits yet, then you have found a great option that is durable, easy to control, and offers a smooth ride.
4. Merkapa 22″ Complete Skateboard with Colorful LED Light-Up Wheels – The Best Skateboard for Skating after Dark
When you are a kid, nothing is better than having something with wheels that you can ride in the dark. This skateboard has wheels that have built-in LED lights that flash when they roll, which also helps them to be seen as they are riding down the driveway at dusk.
The wheels only light up if you are going fast. For kids who are just learning to skateboard, this could mean that they are riding in the dark until they learn to pick up speed.
This colorful, attractive skateboard is ideal for any child who likes to illuminate the night. It is easy to ride, it comes fully assembled, and the board can accommodate up to 180 pounds.
5. Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard – The Best Skateboard for a Rookie Teen
The deck tape that’s on the deck is great for a teen. It will keep your kid stable as he or she races down the street. In addition, the artwork that is displayed on the bottom of the deck is ideal for a boy or a girl to show off.
6. Rimable Complete 22″ Skateboard – The Best Skateboard for Growing Children
The soft wheels, the fast bearings, and the lightweight trucks on this board create an adequate board for speed and tricks. It gives you a good amount of control that makes it is easy to do ollies on this board as well as a smooth riding experience.
Though the material that the board is made out of is durable, the paint that is on the deck is not. The deck chips and scratches easily, but luckily the board is typically a one color design that can be repainted.
The board is a great option for riding in the skate park and performing tricks. If the board is for a kid who will want to ride on a pebbled surface, this may not be the best option. Luckily, it is great for a child learning to skateboard, and it will accommodate their skill level as they grow.
7. SCSK8 Pro Skateboard – The Best Well-Rounded Skateboard for Kids
The quality of the wood that the board is constructed from is great. It is very durable, and there are a number of different art styles that you can choose from to fit the personality of your child. You can even choose a bare wood style so that they can decorate it themselves.
You have a lot of maneuverability and control with this board, especially when you consider the grip tape that covers the entire surface of the deck.
If you are looking for a skateboard that is great for cruising as well as tricks, then this board may be the best option for your child. It is made from high-quality materials and the deck is big enough to accommodate most kids of any age.
8. The Boss Board – Complete 22″ Vintage Skateboard – The Best Street Skateboard for Kids
This skateboard is great for riding on all types of surfaces. Even riding downhill on a pebbled surface will leave your kid with a smooth ride that they can enjoy.
The small wheels on this board make it perfect for skating and performing tricks as your kid rides down the street. It is a rugged option that will last a long time, even with daily use.
9. Mini Complete Skateboard Toys for Kids – The Best Skateboard for a Beginner
The deck and the wheels are bright green in coloration, which gives your kids a brightly colored board that stands out in the crowd.
This board is only available in a size that is 24.3 inches long and 5.9 inches wide, which is actually smaller than a micro deck. That being said, this skateboard is only able to accommodate smaller individuals.
If your kid is a beginner, then this is a great option to consider. It has a small design that makes it easier for children to maneuver. Though this small size is great for youngsters, it is not ideal for a child who is growing fast.
10. Ancheer Retro Plastic Skateboard Complete Cruiser 70’s Style 22″ Mini Skateboard – The Best Skateboard for SpeedProduct Reviews
The lightweight deck is designed from a durable plastic material that is designed to accommodate a weight of up to 220 pounds. With this weight allowance, nearly any kid will be able to ride on the board without issue.
Each skateboard features a bright colored deck that is complimented with wheels that are designed a different bright color. This design is good for boys and girls. There is also not a grip on the deck; instead, the design is incorporated into the material.
If you are looking for a small skateboard for your child to use to get from point A to point B, then this may be a great option for you. It is not a great option for tricks, but if your child likes cruising, then this is a good 70’s style board for you to consider.
When you are looking for a skateboard for your child, there are specific features that you will want to consider to make sure that they are safe as they ride. The durability of the board that you purchase is the most important consideration to make.
The cheap skateboards that have cartoon designs on the bottom of the deck are not made from skateboard companies. These are toys, which means that they are not as well made as a real skateboard.
The best skateboards are made from Canadian maple, but bamboo, fiberglass, and hard plastic material can be just as durable, especially since this is a skateboard for a youngster.
What are other important features to consider?
The Size of the Board
Purchasing a board that is designed for an adult is only going to make your child stumble when they are learning to skate. There are four sizes of decks to select from.
- Micro Deck – This is a deck that has a 6.5 inch to a 6.75-inch deck. It is designed for smaller children who want to try their hand at skateboarding, specifically children under five. As a general rule, you should look for a micro deck for anyone that is less than three and a half feet with a size three shoe or less.
- Mini Deck – A mini is a skateboard option that is ideal for kids who are between six and eight years of age. The deck is about seven inches wide, so it is ideal for a foot size of four to six. This board size is ideal for kids who are between 3.5 and 4.5 feet tall.
- Mid-Size Deck – This deck is 7.3 inches wide, making it a great option for preteens between the ages of nine and 12. We’d recommend this size board for anyone who is between 4.5 and 5.2 inches tall with a shoe size of about seven or eight.
- Full-Size Deck – Once your kid reaches 5.3 feet tall, it is time to move to on to a full-size deck. The width of these decks start at 7.5 inches wide, but they vary in size based on the design, which is why it is best for teenagers and young adults. In general, having a size nine shoe or larger is recommended for this board.
Type of Skateboard
There are several types of skateboards that you should consider before purchasing one for your child, but each one can fit into one of these three categories.
- Classic Board – This type of skateboard typically has a rounded nose and tail that is easy to grab onto for tricks. Now, not all kids will be ready to do tricks, but this is also a great starting board because it will be easy to maneuver.
- Longboard – A longboard is a style that has larger wheels and a longer deck. It is designed for traveling, cruising, and getting from point A to point B. If your child is looking for a mode of transportation, then this may be a great option for them.
- Snakeboard – This is a new type of skateboard that is popular amongst teens today. It only has two wheels, so the balance and the momentum of the rider play an important part in how the board moves.
The type of wheel that the skateboard has played a big part in the speed and the smoothness of the ride. Large wheels are able to handle bumps in the road, while smaller wheels pick up speed more quickly. In addition to size, the durometer or hardness of the wheel is important as well.
Soft wheels grip the pavement, which makes tricks easier to do. Hard wheels slide a bit, allowing you to drift around turns with ease. However, this drifting may make it more difficult for a child to control the board if they don’t have a lot of experience.
The Right Gear
Falling off of a skateboard is part of the learning experience. Your child is going to take a tumble, so the best thing to do is prepare them so that they are not seriously injured when they do hit the pavement.
Safety should always be your first concern when your child is involved, so find a helmet that fits their head properly.
Make sure that it fits them snuggly so that it does not slide off of their head. You also want to purchase knee and elbow pads for them to wear, they may not like the look, but they will appreciate it when they fall.
Also, talk to your child about skateboard safety. Make sure that they always wear close-toed shoes like sneakers, especially during the summer when sandals are a common choice for footwear. They will need to start double knotting their shoes so that they do not become untied while riding. They will also need to learn how to control their fall so that they hit the flesh were they will only get bruised instead of hitting the pavement hard and breaking a bone.
There are a number of different options available when it comes to purchasing a skateboard for your kids. These boards are all great options for children, but in the near future, we may be seeing boards that have the unique ways to skate down the street. Regardless, these skateboards have been entertaining our kids for decades, and they continue to be a great option for children today.